Tuesday, October 1, 2013

First Lines: Jane Godman



My first guest is visiting from England where she is quite busy writing up all kinds of delicious historicals.


Jane Godman



Jane Godman is currently hard at work on her a sequel to her first Gothic mystery/romance set for release later this year from Harlequin Shivers. Her other books, The Corsair's Revenge and The Rebel's Promise, are both available now. 





Jane's favorite first line comes from the classic Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.

When asked to explain why this line resonates with her, she explained, 
"I like the fact that this first line starts the story at its end. It has a hint of mystery - Why is the writer not still at Manderley? Why must she go there only in a dream? - and the instant hook of making me want to read on. And, when I did read on, Daphne du Maurier did not disappoint me. Rebecca remains one of my favourite books in my favourite genre, the traditional gothic with dark secrets, brooding characters and a lush, atmospheric setting."

If you're a fan of the Gothic, and love that lush writing style, be sure to check out Jane's works:
Goodreads

Curious about her current project?
My current project is my third Gothic mystery/romance. My first Gothic (untitled as yet) will be published by Harlequin Shivers later this year and my current work in progress is a sequel to that book. Set in a brooding cliff top castle, the characters are a family with dark secrets and smouldering passions. I love writing for the Shivers line which features the supernatural, without being a paranormal romance, and is high sensuality, without being an erotic romance. I like to call it romance with a dash of horror!  

No comments:

Post a Comment